Buckhorn Saloon and Museum
Client: Twisthorn Holdings, Inc.
Completion Date: 1999
General Contractor: Price Woods
Project Size: 38,000 SF
MEP Engineer: Murray & Associates, Consulting Engineers
Interior Design: Alamo Architects
Architectural Lighting: Joe Kaplan & Associates, Lighting Design
Building Code/Life Safety: Cochrane & Associates
Food Service: Mission Restaurant Supply
The historic World’s Greatest Collection of Horns (as well as fins, feathers and other oddities, both natural and manmade) was reacquired by the heirs of Albert Friedrich. The Buckhorn collection, which had been growing continuously since 1891 was cataloged, cleaned and reorganized. The complete collection is now housed in a historic building, one block off the Riverwalk. New exhibit areas include a Hall of Fins, North American and Alaska Halls, and a hall dedicated to the history of Texas and the cowboy, overlook the double-height saloon space where a section of the original bar is reinstalled. Other spaces include a gift shop, restaurant and banquet hall for 300. A fantastic 30 foot steel and neon pylon sign, based on the original circa 1930, is located on the prominent corner of the building.